Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Drummers, Bassists, Calories.....OH MY!



Some of you guys that are touring musicians keep asking me this question: "How am I supposed to adhere to such a structured nutrition plan, like P90X, while I'm on the road? My workouts are suffering because of it."

It's a fair question. It's not easy when the green room has been set up with 3 or 4 different snacks that are very salty, very sugary or both. Most of you touring guys have a rider that asks the venues what to have set up before you even get there. I'm obviously not addressing you guys since you can choose what you get.

To all the others bands that still help load and unload all of your own equipment and lights every time you play, this is for you.

1. I suggest that you find a decent heart rate monitor with a feature that shows how many calories you've burned. It's an excellent tool to help you discern great information you need to know during your work out like your zone heart rate and amount of calories burned. (Click on any of the buttons or banners on this page and it will take you to my website where you can find one.) You can find them without the chest strap too. If you are loading in and out this is the tool that is going to help you adjust the amount of food you eat and what kinds.

2. At load in/out (you decide which one) set up the heart rate monitor timer to count calories your body is burning. When you're done with setup, write that number down.

3. During sound check, sing/play/perform exactly like you would in front of your fans, with the heart rate monitor set up to count calories.

4. Double your first or last calorie reading and add the second reading to it. How many calories did you burn during these activities? Obviously, a percussionist or drummer is going to burn more than a bass player, unless maybe your name is Flea from the Red Hot Chili Peppers, because of the nature of the instrument that is played.

5. Adjust your nutrition to add some of those lost calories back to maximize your workout. I tend to reach for the whole almonds or something with all natural peanut butter in it when I need a calorie boost and that seems to work.

6. This is my favorite way to adjust my calories. I do it with Shakeology. It is a great way to get that needed boost before a workout and it also completes your nutrition for the day. I suggest you get the chocolate and add coffee to it first thing in the morning. Here's a short video that shows you that any klutz can do it...ME!



Find out more here:

I hope this helps with nutrition while you're on the road. Cheers!

Fit2praise
http://www.beachbodycoach.com/fit2praise

No comments:

Post a Comment